Thursday, December 19, 2013

"Most Desolate Point" Bald Head Island-- Part 2: Blockade-Running

Benjamin Lewis Blackford continued with his Oct. 11, 1863, letter:

"Every thing is bustle hear now. Gen. Whiting having reason to apprehend an immediate attack. Three steamers ran in yesterday. I saw the Advance came in the broad twi-lights; she made from 18-20 knots and came through a perfect hail of shell without being touched. This point averages an arrival and departure Every 24 hours.

I am getting on famously now, living on sweet potatoes, hog fish and oysters. I dated my last letter from Wrightsville and don't know if I gave my address. There is no p.o. at Wrightsville, and my address is 'Engineer Office, Wilmington.'

The steamer is waiting for me and I must close, your affectionate son, B. Lewis Blackford."

Pretty Busy Desolate Place. --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment