Friday, November 9, 2012

A Good Time At Fort Fisher in 1982

From my journal.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 5, 1982  Thirty years ago.

"We went by the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, or UNC Wonderful as it is commonly called, and toured the area.  It is definitely a beautiful campus and growing fast.

I also went to the Blockade Runner (Museum).  Chris Fonvielle offered me a position next year as Assistant Director at from between $15-18,000 a year salary.  He said we could do great things if we teamed up on our research.

I told him that he certainly knew a lot more about Fort Fisher than I did, but he replied that was only because he had always lived there.  I walked from the B-R back to the cottage."

I went to Fort Fisher at 4.  "I met Wilson and Jim Legg there.  Ron, Wilson, Mary, Jim and I drove out to the main Union line."

 That offer from Chris sure had me thinking about it.  That was around what I was earning teaching in Illinois and to have the chance to be that close to Fort Fisher.  That would be a dream come true.

To Fisher or Not to Fisher.  --Old B-R'er

Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment