Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Death of Paul Laird-- Part 3: Chris Fonvielle's Condolences

 As fate would have it, I ended up teaching in the Dept. of History at UNC Wilmington, our undergraduate alma mater, for many years.    I publicly credited Paul with jump starting my career path.  Modest as he was, Paul always downplayed his role, but its my story and I'm sticking to it.

Even after retiring as director of the Friends of Fort Fisher, Paul remained active as a board member for the Moore's Creek Battlefield Association and the Federal Point Historic Preservation Society, and an advisor  to the Brunswick Civil War Round Table.

He and I worked together on many local history projects. most recently the Joseph Ryder Lewis Civil War Park at Carolina Beach.

Cross over the river and rest underneath the shade of the trees, my good friend, and wait for us there.  We'll join you by and by.   In the meantime,  you will always be in my thoughts and prayers.

Chris Fonvielle


No comments:

Post a Comment