Monday, September 28, 2020

Death of Paul Laird-- Part 2: Chris Fonvielle's Condolences

I went to the Wilmington Funeral site and read the condolences.  I seemed to remember that Paul Laird had something to do with the Friends of Fort Fisher even though the obituary just said he worked at Fort Fisher.

One of those condolences was from Chris Fonvielle.  I knew Chris Fonvielle from his days at the Blockade Runner Museum in Carolina Beach, North Carolina.

I will write his words here:

"I extend my deepest sympathies to Kay, Matt, Ben and the entire Laird family for their unexpected loss.  Paul was one of my oldest, closest, and dearest friends, dating back to our days as undergraduates at UNC Wilmington in the 1970s. Were it not for Paul Laird, I may not have become a professional historian.

He was responsible  for getting me the job of curator of the former Blockade Runner Museum in Carolina Beach, N.C. in 1979 and, as it turned out, the last curator of the museum.  When New Hanover County purchased the Blockade Runner Museum's collection and moved it to the Cape Fear Museum in 1983, I decided to attend graduate school and pursue a career as an academic historian.



No comments:

Post a Comment