Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Confederate Fortifications at New Topsail Inlet


From Stopping Points

TOPSAIL BATTERY

U.S. 17, HAMPSTEAD, N.C.

I have passed the marker often I I drove from Wilmington to Topsail Island, North Carolina, where my mom had a townhouse at Topsail Beach.

Text from the marker:

Confederate breastworks were constructed in this vicinity in 1862 to protect Wilmington from an attack from the north  and for coastal defense.

The attack from the north would have been a Union attack from  occupied New Bern and coastal defense would have been a Union landing on the coast and attack on Wilmington from there.

The marker is on the east side of U.S. 17 as you enter Hampstead.  I imagine there is water nearby, but you can't see it for the overgrowth.

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment