Saturday, February 1, 2020

Bruce Anderson, 142nd New York, Black Medal of Honor Recipient at Fort Fisher-- Part 1


Yesterday in my Saw the Elephant: Civil War blog, I was listing Blacks who were recipients of the Medal of Honor in the Civil War.  This grew out of the Richmond (Virginia) City Council looking into putting up a statue honoring 14 black Medal of Honor winners at the Battle of New Market Heights during the Petersburg Campaign.  I started this story in my Civil War II blog.

Richmond plans to put this monument up on that city's Monument Avenue which has statues of Confederates that they are trying to remove.

There is a monument in Wilmington, Delaware, honoring black Medal of Honor recipients and I was listing their names for the Army.  All of them, except Bruce Anderson,  were in United States Colored Troops (USCT) regiments.

It is not often that you find a black soldier serving with a white regiment such as the 142nd New  York Infantry.

And, of course, my main interest in the Civil War is anything dealing with Fort Fisher.

I will find out more information about him.

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment