In the early 19th century, Grand Terre Island was the home to pirates under Lafitte.
The fort was begun in 1834, but work soon stopped. It resumed in 1841 under the direction of Major P.G.T. Beauregard, U.S. Army. A lighthouse was added in 1856. Construction was stooped by the Civil War and never resumed after that.
It was occupied temporarily by Confederates and used to protect blockade runners using the Barataria Pass.. At one time, the fort had four companies, comprising 300 men along with 15 cannons. It was abandoned after the fall of New Orleans to Farragut.
Most of the fort was destroyed by a hurricane in 1872 and most of its guns removed in 1889. One whole side is gone and it is only accessible by boat.