Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Matthew Maury Goes to Mexico-- Part 2

He wrote:  "In peace as in war I follow the fortunes of my native old state [Virginia].  I read in public prints that she has practically confessed defeat and laid down her arms.  In that act mine were grounded also.  I am here without a command, officially alone, and am bound on matters of private concern abroad.

"Nevertheless, and as I consider further resistance worse than useless, I deem it proper formally so to confess, and to pledge you in the words of honor that, should I find myself before the final inauguration of peace within the jurisdiction of the United States, to consider myself a prisoner of war, bound by the terms and conditions which have been or may be granted to general Lee and his officers.

"Be pleased to send your answer through my son [Colonel R.L. Maury], a prisoner of war on parole in Richmond.  In the meantime, and until I hear to the contrary, I shall act as though my surrender had been formally accepted on the above named terms and conditions."

Covering His Bases.  --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment