Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Fort Fisher Observance This Weekend-- Part 2: Books on the Battle

Steven Spielberg's 2012 film "Lincoln" really featured the fort with Lincoln and his cabinet closely following incoming action reports in the War Department's telegraph room in Washington, D.C..  No doubt, this sent some historians scrambling looking to find out more about it.

There were no in depth books written solely about Fort Fisher and Wilmington until the 1970s .  Aware of this, it was one of my goals to write that first book and I had collected a lot of information.  However, Rod Gragg published a book and since then, there have been several books on the subject.  I didn't have to write that book.

I was always angry at my professors when they wouldn't let me write my Master's thesis on the battle.  I ended up doing it on the impact of the blockade on the Confederacy's food supply as a way to somewhat get around their ban.

--Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment