Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Wilmington, NC in October 1863-- Part 16: Union Buildup and $120 Pants

Just about finished with this really long, but informative letter written Oct. 5, 1863, from Benjamin Lewis Blackford to his parents in Virginia about his new posting at Wilmington.

"I will try to come to Virginia for a day or two at the end of the month. I had to leave my beautiful horse in Richmond, and I want to bring her here. I had to pay $120 for a pair of common gray pantaloons nearly a month's pay.

There seems to be Every indication of an attack here soon. There are 20 ships off the bar now, instead of 6 the usual number, and I am afraid the steamers inside at this time (about a dozen) won't get out so easily. I cant form any accurate idea how long I may be detained here, but I do hope and trust to be through by Christmas at all events."

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment