Fort Fisher

Fort Fisher
Fort Fisher, NE Bastion. Frank Vizetelly (National Geographic)

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Wilmington, NC, in October 1864-- Part 12

Continuing with this lengthy letter from Benjamin Blackford from October 5, 1863: "I think I have the luck of falling in love with pretty girls and only wonder I did not meet some at Fort Fisher. The more I see of N.C. & the N.Cians the less I see to admire, save indeed the young lady mentioned above, and her parents are full blooded Yankees. //// The people are unsound. They are contemptable, they howl, and whine and cry for peace on any terms & reconstruction not as a matter of original principle for they are perfect fire...." //// Poor Mr. Blackford Must Have Been Turned Down By the Young Lady? --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment