Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Walk Around Fort Fisher-- Part 1

Hey, this was the thing that got me interested in the Civil War and, from there, history in general.  This goes way back to when I was seven years old.

While out at the fort for Second Saturday, I had the opportunity to take a guided tour walk around the remains.  I've done this before and it is always interesting to see what the person says, especially since I have more than just a passing knowledge of the fort.

I am right now reading about what I was doing thirty years ago in July 1982.  i was starting my second week of an extended vacation to Carolina Beach and jogging and swimming during the morning and then going either out to Fort Fisher or the Blockade-Runner Museum in the afternoon and doing research.  This was a great vacation that also involved many bars at CB and nearby Kure Beach.

The walk around the remaining Fort Fisher traverses was led by an older man I took to be ex-Marine DI, but, he said he was in the Army.  The words just easily flowed Marine.

More to Come.  --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment