Saturday, February 4, 2012

What is a Flag Officer?

I have been mentioning the term Flag Officer a lot in my Naval Happenings entries and my brother wanted to know exactly what a Flag Officer was.  I knew he was of high rank (like an admiral since they commanded a group of ships), but to tell you the truth, didn't really know for a fact.

So, did a little research and found out that a flag officer is a senior commissioned officer in the US Navy before the Civil War.  The Confederacy also used the rank.  The term rechnically means that the officer is so important, they can fly their own flag from the ship they command (I imagine one showing his rank).

Today, the term is no longer used, but would apply to an admiral.  Before the Civil War, a captain with a lot of seniority would be called a Flag Officer.  They would command their own ship and a squadron as well.

In 1862, Congress authorized the use of the title admiral for Flag Officers.  An admiral commanded a group of ships, but would have a Flag Captain command the ship he was on.

I Sometimes Call Them Flah Oggicers When I Hit the Wrong Keys.  --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment