Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rear Admiral William Radford

In my last post, I mentioned seeing the uniform of Commodore William Radford, commander of the Union ironclad USS New Ironsides, arguably the most powerful ship in the fleet. At the time I saw it, it didn't occur to me that the Ironsides was at Fort Fisher (I knew it, just didn't occur).

That, of course, would make it even more special for me, given my interest in that fort.

I was unfamiliar with the man, so, of course, went to Wikipedia.

WILLIAM RADFORD (March 1, 1808-Jan. 8, 1890)

Fought in the Mexican War and Civil War. Became lieutenant in 1830s. Commanded a landing party that captured a Mexican warship and participated in several actions in the Pacific Ocean during the Mexican War (and I didn't even know the Mexicans had any warships).

Although born in Virginia, he elected to remain in the US Navy during the Civil War. He was the commander of the USS Cumberland when that ship was sunk by the CSS Virginia March 8, 1862, but was not on board at the time because he was on the USS Roanoke for a Court of Inquiry.

Appointed Commodore 24April1863, he commanded the USS Ironsides. At Fort Fisher, he was commended for how well his ship supported the forces on land and eight of his men received Medals of Honor.

Promoted to Read Admiral in 1866, he commanded the US European Squadron from 1869 to 1870, when he retired.

Two US ships have been named in his honor.

So, That's the Guy. --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment