Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Raphael Semmes Statue, Mobile, Alabama

While in Mobile for the NIU Go-Daddy Bowl, I decided to go all Semmes and visit as much as I could of the city's favorite adopted son, Raphael Semmes.

After finding his grave, the next item was to find the famous statue of the Confederate Naval commander downtown,

It was very easy to find and I got some pictures of it while stopped for the light.

Later that night, while vainly looking for the bus to take us back to the motel after the Mardi Gras parade and fireworks, we waited about twenty minutes on the benches in front of the statue.  I got some good shots of it with a full moon over his shoulder, but won't show them until Liz shows me how to download the photos.

I have been unable to find much on the history of the statue.

Quite the Old "Beeswax."  --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment