Sunday, January 22, 2023

Cruisin' With the USS Montgomery-- Part 2: Getting Hooked on Old Roads

Often when I'm doing all these blogs, I go ahead from the story I'm on and find out, as Paul Harvey would call it, "The Rest of the Story."  I start digging a little deeper into it to see what I find.  It is kind of like looking for buried treasure.  Kind of like all the hype back when Geraldo Rivera went into Al Capone's vaults.  You never know if you'll find something or not.

I call this "RoadTrippin' Through History" as you don't even know if you'll stay, as in this case, with the Civil War.  You just keep following leads.  Sometimes you get nowhere, others, like this, you sure do go places.

This takes in another one of the things I'm nuts about, old roads and trips on them.  Today. most vacations are all about the destination, not what you can see and do on the way.  Now, I realize most people don't have a lot of time on vacations and I'm fortunate enough to be retired.

My late wife, Liz, and I got hooked on old roads in 2002.  And, that road was Route 66 which we took from Chicago to St. Louis over spring break.  We got hopelessly hooked.  

Plus, Illinois is fortunate to also have two of the other major old roads, the Lincoln Highway and the National Road.  

--Old B-Runner


No comments:

Post a Comment