Thursday, August 19, 2021

Russian Monitors, Yes, There Were Russian Monitors and One Really Weird One

Well, since I have been writing about the USS Nantucket and monitors, I saw this article today and found it of great interest.

From the August 18, 2021, Jalopnik  "Russia once built a very weird circular warship" by Jason Torchinsky.

The Union Navy was not the only world navy with monitors.  It turns out that Russia even experimented with monitors, at least some that looked like  U.S. monitors and, then, there was this one named the Novgorod.  This ship could well be described as a floating frisbee.  Very, but some, looking ship.

I was completely unaware of these Russian monitors until now.

The Novgorod was essentially an ironclad monitor based on the USS Monitor.  Loosely, very loosely.

According to Torchinsky, the Monitor was a revolution in naval design.  It was a solely steam-driven warship,  nearly completely made of iron with a powered, revolving turret.  Most of the ship was under the waterline and, it is worth noting,  the first ship to have real flushing toilets.  (I also did not know that.)

The Monitor was actually the first of all modern warships.  The basic design was copied all over the world, including Russia which had the Uragan-class monitors.

--Old B-Runner


2 comments:

  1. Hello, is this blog active? I want to use the pictures of the blockade runners as a promo trailer for my novel, "I Jonathan, a Charleston Tale of the Rebellion." It features a round-trip to Nassau. Are there more good pictures? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got them off the internet, I agree, they are great pictures of blockade-runners.

    ReplyDelete