Wednesday, February 10, 2021

The Other George F. Winslow (Not the One on the USS Marblehead)-- Part 1

As I said before, when I was writing about the action of the USS Marblehead in the Stono River in South Carolina at the Battle of Legareville on Christmas Day 1863, I came across the name of a Union officer named George F. Winslow, who received recognition for his actions that day from his commanding officer, Richard Worsam Meade III.

I decided to find out if I could find out any more about this man.  Especially since that last name, Winslow, is well known in Civil War narratives because of an officer named John Winslow, who commanded the USS Kearsarge in its famous fight with the CSS Alabama off Cherbourg, France.  Could this Winslow be related?

(Well, then also there was that Richard Worsam Meade III, with that famous last name.  I wonder?)

Let's find out.

The first thing I found was that there were two Union Naval officers named George F. Winslow.  That kind of complicated things.  

However, one was also a surgeon who had a long career in the service.  This one, however, was never listed as being on the USS Marblehead.

Famous Last Names All Over the Place.  --Old B-Runner


No comments:

Post a Comment