Sunday, September 8, 2019

This Date September 8, 1864, A U.S. Congressman Captured By Confederates-- George Washington Julian-- Part 1


Two days ago I posted part of this month's North Carolina Civil War Sesquicentennial timeline  for 1864 and one of the items was the capture of this man.  I had never heard of him, but a quick look at his story in Wikipedia shows that he was quite a prominent figure in the Civil War.  I'll have to write about him in my Saw the Elephant blog.

However, I also did not know about the capture and have been doing research on it and can't find out much about it.

In Civil War Talk, I found a person had posted a forum entry "Coinjack, NC. had a Civil War Moment, Yea!" by 5fish on Feb. 15, 2010.

He wrote essentially what the timeline had said, which was as follows:

HEY! Hey!  My mom's hometown of Coinjack, NC. had a big moment during the Civil War on September 8, 1864.

September 8 --  The only capture of a United States Congressman  during the Civil War -- at Coinjack in Currituck County.  George Washington Julian was taken prisoner when  Capt. J.N. Maffitt ordered pilot  J.B. Hopkins to take a detail of twenty Confederate sailors yo the Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal and capture the mailboat Fawn.  Julian was subsequently released in Elizabeth City.

--Old B-Runner


No comments:

Post a Comment