Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Union Commander of USS Kearsarge Born in Wilmington, North Carolina


While going through my RoadDog's RoadLog  Blog the other day, I found an entry on John Ancrum Winslow, a famous Civil War naval officer dated October 26, 2007.  Back in 2007 it was my early days of blogging and I only had four blogs at the end of the year.  I wouldn't have placed this there now.

But, it was interesting.  The Waymarkers find and write about history markers, and there is a History On a Stick in Wilmington, N.C., referring to him being born there in 1811.  As the commander of the USS Kearsarge, his ship battled the famed commerce raider CSS Alabama off the coast of France in 1864 and was victorious, sinking the other ship, commanded by Raphael Semmes.

Of interest, Semmes and Winslow had shared a cabin during the Mexican War.

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment