Thursday, February 28, 2019

So What Became of Acting Master's Mate William H. Kitching?


Two days ago I mentioned that he was captured in a picket boat from the USS Nipsic on Feb. 26, 1864, and held on the CSS Charleston in Charleston Harbor.

What happened to him after that?

On March 28, 1864, Gen. Benjamin F. Butler wrote from Fort Monroe to Robert Ould, Confederate Agent of Prisoner Exchange.

"Sir, Will you please inform me as to the whereabouts and present condition of William H. Kitching, who was taken prisoner while in command of a picket boat, from the U.S. gun-boat Nipsic, on the night of the 26th February, last, near Charleston, S.C?"

I couldn't find a reply.

Elsewhere in the U.S. Navy  Register of officers I found his name, with his joining on 28 March 1863 and resignation on 22 April 1865.

Other than that, I can find nothing about him.

He Evidently Survived His Ordeal.  --Old B-Runner


No comments:

Post a Comment