Wednesday, July 4, 2018

July 4, 1863: The Fall of Vicksburg-- Part 2: Port Hudson Next


Observing that he must continue to push on to finish the operations in the west by seizing Port Hudson, Sherman added:  "It does seem to me that Port Hudson, without facilities for supplies or interior communication must soon follow the fate of Vicksburg and to leave the river free, and to you the task of  preventing any more Vicksburgs or Port Hudsons on the banks of the great inland sea.

"Though farther apart, the Navy and Army will still act in concert, and I assure you I shall never reach the banks of the river or see a gunboat but I will think of Admiral Porter, Captain Breese, and the many elegant and accomplished gentlemen it has been my good fortune to meet on armed and unarmed decks of the Mississippi squadron."

--Old B-R'er


No comments:

Post a Comment