Thursday, April 5, 2018

A Black Chaplain Writes About Fort Fisher-- Part 3: Would They Shoot Captured USCT?


**  "After walking through the fort for some time, viewing it by the light of the moon, I found myself shot at from some unknown quarter.  This led me to believe there were rebels still secreted in some undiscovered spot whom we had not found."

**  "I asked several rebel officers if they killed the colored prisoners they took.  They told me they did not.  They also told me if they found they were free men from the north, or even from any slave State in our lines, they were treated as other Yankee prisoners are; but if they were slaves whose owners were in the Confederate States, and such colored men could be identified, they were treated as house-burners and robbers.  And as for you, said they, you would get the same treatment as other Yankee officers."

Interesting Observations.  --Old Secesh

No comments:

Post a Comment