Tuesday, March 20, 2018

March 20, 1863-- Part 1: Farragut to Assist Grant and Porter


MARCH 20TH, 1863:  From below Warrenton, Mississippi, Rear Admiral Farragut sent the following message to General Grant and a similar one to Rear Admiral Porter:  "Having learned that the enemy had the Red River trade open to Vicksburg and Port Hudson and that two of the gunboats of the upper fleet [Queen of the West and Indianola] had been captured, I determined to pass up and, if possible, recapture the boats and stop the Red River trade, and this I can do most effectively if I can obtain from rear Admiral Porter or yourself coal for my vessels....

"I shall be most happy to avail myself of the earliest moment to have a consultation with yourself and Rear Admiral Porter as to the assistance I can render you at this place; and, if none, then I will return to the mouth of the Red River and carry out my original designs.

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment