Friday, April 21, 2017

April 21, 1862: Farragut Writes About His Delay In Attacking New Orleans-- Part 1

APRIL 21ST, 1862:  Flag Officer Farragut explained the delay in the attack on New Orleans:  "We have been bombarding the forts for three or four days, but the current is running so strong that we cannot stem it sufficiently to do anything with our ships, so that I am now waiting a change of wind, which brings a slacker tide, and we shall be enabled to run up....

"Captain Bell went last night to cut the chain across the river.  I never felt such anxiety in my life as I did until his return.  One of his vessels got on shore, and I was fearful she would be captured.  They kept up a tremendous fire on him; but Porter diverted their fire with a heavy cannonade."

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment