Friday, March 10, 2017

March 10, 1862: Farragut Passes Over the Mississippi River Bar

MARCH 10TH, 1862:  Amidst the Herculean labors of lightening and dragging heavy ships through the mud of the "19 foot bar" that turned out to be 15 feet, and organizing the squadron, Flag Officer Farragut reported:  :"I am up to my eyes in business.  The Brooklyn is on the bar, and I am getting her off.  I have just had Bell up at the head of the passes.

"My blockading shall be done inside as much as possible.  I keep the gunboats up there all the time....  Success is the only thing listened to in this war, and I know that I must sink or swim by that rule.

"Two of my best friends have done me a great injury by telling the Department that the Colorado can be gotten over the bar into the river, and so I was compelled to try it, and take precious time to do it.  If I had been left to myself, I would have been in before this."

Wonder Who Those Two Friends Were?  --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment