Monday, April 11, 2016

155 Years Ago: Anderson's Reply to Beauregard's Demand for Surrender

G.T. Beauregard to Confederate Secretary of War L.P.  Walker, April 11, 1861.

"Major Anderson replies" 'I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your communication demanding the evacuation of this fort, and to say in reply thereto that it is a demand with which I regret that my sense of honor and of my obligations to my Government prevent my compliance.'

"He says verbally"  'I will await the first shot, and if you do not batter us to pieces we will be starved out in a few days.'

"Answer."

In Other Words, "NUTS!!"  But In an Oh So Polite Way.  --Old B-Runner

Walker replied to him not to "needlessly... bombard Fort Sumter" if Anderson says he will have to leave because of being starved out.


No comments:

Post a Comment