Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Charles A. Newton, Confederate Navy

In my Saw the Elephant Blog, I have been writing about Confederate Engineer Corps Captain Simon L. Sommers, who ended up living in Macomb, Illinois, after the war.  He married Margaret Newton in 1863, who was the daughter of Charles A. Newton who was listed as formerly being in the U.S. Navy.

I had to wonder if perhaps Charles was in the Confederate Navy since the marriage must have happened in the South.?

I found a list of men with last name Newton who were in Confederate service.

One was a Charles A. Newton listed as an acting master on the Richmond Station who died 11 August 1862.  I went through a list of U.S. Navy officers of the era and did not find his name, so perhaps he was an enlisted man.

Perhaps this was Margaret's father?

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment