Thursday, October 9, 2014

Cushing's Steam Picket Boat No. 2 Captured in Virginia

OCTOBER 8TH, 1864:  Steam Picket Boat No. 2, Acting Ensign Andrew Stockholm, was captured by Confederate troops in Wicomico Bay, Virginia.  The boat was one of two purchased by Lt. Cushing in New York for the expedition against the CSS Albemarle, and was en route in company with Picket Boat No. 1 to Fortress Monroe.

Mechanical troubles forced No. 2 ashore for repairs, and while these were in progress, No. 1 continued ahead.  Stockholm and his men were attacked by a body of guerrillas.  he reported: "I immediately returned their fire and fought them until I had expended my last cartridge; previous to which I had slipped my cable, and in trying to get out of the enemy's reach, grounded on a sand bar."

Stockholm succeeded in burning the boat and destroying the supplies before he and his men were captured.

William Cushing Was Livid About the Loss.  --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment