Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Farragut Asks to Be Relieved of Duty

AUGUST 27, 1864:  In failing health and with the assault on Mobile delayed indefinitely awaiting adequate troops, Rear Admiral Farragut wrote Secretary Welles requesting to be relieved of duty:  "It is evident that the army has no men to spare for this place beyond those sufficient to keep up an alarm, and thereby make a diversion in favor of General Sherman....

"Now, I dislike to make of show of attack unless I can do something more than make a menace, but so long as I am able I am willing to do the biding of the Department to the best of my abilities.  I fear, however, my health's giving way.

"I have now been down in this Gulf and the Caribbean Sea nearly five years out of six, with the exception of  the short time at home last fall, and the last six months have been a severe drag on me, and I want rest, if it is to be had."

Two months later the great leader set course to the North for a well-deserved leave.  This, however, was to be his last sea duty.

A Well-Deserved Rest.  --Old B-R'er

--

No comments:

Post a Comment