Monday, June 9, 2014

150 Years Ago-- June 11-14th, 1864: Kearsarge On Her Way

JUNE 11TH, 1864:  The USS Lavendar struck a shoal off North Carolina in a sever squall.  The 175-ton steamer was destroyed and nine crewmen lost before the survivors were rescued 15 June by Army steamer John Farron.

JUNE 13TH, 1864:  The USS Kearsarge, Captain Winslow, sailed from Dover, England, to blockade the CSS Alabama at Cherbourg.

JUNE 14TH, 1864:  The USS Kearsarge arrived off Cherbourg, France.  The ship's log recorded: "Found the rebel privateer Alabama lying at anchor in the roads."  The Kearsarge took up the blockade in international waters off the harbor entrance.

Captain Semmes stated: "...My intention is to fight the Kearsarge as soon as I can make the necessary arrangements.  I hope they will not detain me more than until tomorrow evening, or after the morrow morning at furthest.  I beg she will not depart before I am ready to go out."

The Kearsarge had no intention of departing.  The stage was set for the famous duel.

The USS Courier ran aground and was wrecked on Abaco Island, Bahamas.  The sailing ship's crew and supplies were saved.

--Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment