Saturday, June 15, 2013

Nanna Hubba Bluff in Alabama

Yesterday, I wrote about Lt. Peter Murphey being paroled May 10, 1865 at Nanna Hubba Bluff in Alabama.  I had never heard of it, but that is sure an interesting name so had to find out more about it.

According to Wikipedia, it is a bluff above the Tombigbee River, north of Mobile, Alabama,  near the town of Calvert in Mobile County.  It received its name from local Indians.

During the Civil War Confederate shipyards were there.  It is now owned by ThyssenKrupp Company which built a $4.65 billion facility at the site.

It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on 1974.

I also came across mention of the CSS Baltic being captured there on the same day that Murphey received his parole.  I never heard of this ship so you know what that means.

Then, I also found out that Lt. Andrew Bierne, who I have written about, also was paroled at Nanna Hubba Bluff on May 10, 1865.  There must have been big doings there on May 10, 1865.

Didn't Know Any of This.  --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment