Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hurricane of Fire: The Union Assault on Fort Fisher-- Part 1

Flew from Milwaukee to Raleigh this past Tuesday and bought this book at the Renaissance Books in the General Mitchell Airport terminal in Milwaukee. This is a first-class used bookstore with all sorts of books, but I am especially fond of their Civil War collection. They have two huge shelving units full of books, and, even better, two full shelves of books pertaining to the oft-overlooked Naval side of the war.

I had, at one time, been planning to write my own book on what I considered the extremely overlooked Battle of Fort Fisher. This is the battle that got me interested in history and the Civil War. But, starting in the 1990s, books were written so I did not feel it necessary to continue with my research.

This book is written by Charles M. Robinson III from Texas, but who spent his childhood summers with grandparents in Wilmington and first saw Fort Fisher in 1957, about the same time I did. He has also written"Shark of the Confederacy: The Story of the CSS Alabama."

I already have most of the books about the battle, but not this one, written in 1998.

More to Come. --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment